CCC College/Career Ministry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» what happened here?
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm by Rosielle Manuel

» Summer Events... Details Inside.
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyWed May 13, 2009 3:38 am by Mawi

» God imaginary? I don't think so.
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 am by Mawi

» Don’t all religions lead to the same God?
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:12 pm by CLER

» Why study theology?
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:01 pm by CLER

» Men... saving it for marriage
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm by CLER

» Ladies... good read
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 pm by CLER

» Need Financial Blessings
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm by Sarge

» SF Pillow Fight Pix and Warrior's Game Pix are Up!!
Catholic Stereotypes EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:17 am by methodikal

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Catholic Stereotypes

+6
Mawi
Mark
CLER
Rodel
KuyaAirl
methodikal
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Catholic Stereotypes Empty Catholic Stereotypes

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:41 am

Disclaimer: This thread was split from the OP. OP was about Priests and Catholics posted by Mawi

PRACTICING CATHOLIC or (PC)= someone who really knows and has studied Catholicism and has asked Priests, Bishops why they practice the way they practice

CRADLE CATHOLIC or (CC) = someone who is brought up into Catholicism NOT KNOWING why they practice the way they practice.

CEO CATHOLIC = Catholic who only goes to church for Christmas-Easter-Other.

I was w/ Audrey who was a PRACTICING Catholic (meaning she practiced, knew why she practiced, and knew what the purpose of her practice was. She was not a CEO Catholic) I was w/ her for 7 years, and I learned that many, if not all the stereotypes we label them with are simply NOT TRUE (for PC's at least). I saw at times that Audrey and her fam seemed more Christ-like than me and my own family. I've learned to respect the Catholic faith and what they do...now lets get some of these stereotypes of Catholicism straight.

1. Idols/Statues/Pictures - THEY DO NOT WORSHIP STATUES or idols or pictures for that matter. Look in your house right now...what do you have hanging on your walls or on top of your fire place? Who do you have pictures of? Your family? Yourself? Look at this country, who's faces do we have on Mt. Rushmore? 4 dead Presidents. Do we call the American people Idol worshipers? No. That was built to remember those great men. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Lincoln memorial, the Jefferson memorial. Do we call the people who visit these things idol worshipers? No. We say that they are paying their respects to fallen heroes. Catholics use these symbols to remember and give respect to Christ/Mary/Saints. Just as you would have a picture of your dead loved one to pay respect to their memory.

2. Mary - PC's DO NOT WORSHIP MARY. Repeat. THEY DO NOT WORSHIP MARY. THEY DO NOT THINK MARY IS GOD. Catholics who really know what they are doing and why they are doing it, know to never put Mary higher than God/JC. I even spoke to Audrey's mother (DIE HARD CATHOLIC), and she admitted that there were some radicals who worship Mary and her statues, but she does not agree w/ those practices. There are also many "CC's" who just do it because they either learn from tradition or they just do it cz they learned from their parents, or they simply dont know the purpose behind the respect given to Mary. Let's not stereotype all the Catholics because of a percentage of Catholics who dont know why they practice the way they do. Mary is a very important person, and I think she deserves more respect and remembrance than what we as "Born Again" Christians give her, but not as much as say, some radical Catholics who worship her. I remember Pastor Antenor, and also another guest speaker saying that we, as "Born Again" christians, should give more respect to Mary. What she endured was very hard. Imagine if you were young, were told you were going to bear the savior of the World, and had to tell your husband ur pregnant before your honeymoon...imagine the humiliation, and how humble she must have been to go through all these things. Think about that for even a second and you'll see that Mary was just as important as anyone else, other than JC of course.

3. PC's know (at least Audrey and her fam knew) their sins are forgiven through what Christ did on the Cross.
How many times have you gone to Pastor, or anyone in higher spirituality, for help/advice/counseling/prayer? Priests are there as intercessors, just as you would ask Pastor or anyone else to intercede for you. They help you fix your problems and tell you how to handle them as well. The Priest's life is devoted to God, and who better to go to than someone who lives nothing for more than to be Christ-like?

4. PC's know that they are not saved by good works. They know that they are saved only by GRACE. The works are only a result of their humility and having unconditional love for others. Given that some "cradle Catholics" think they are going to be saved for doing good works...Again, lets not stereotype them because of this fact.

Those of us on the "outside" shouldn't judge Catholicism/Catholics because of what we hear from our friends and even parents. Most converts, if not all, were "cradle catholics" meaning they didnt know what Catholicism was all about, they just did it because thats just what they were taught. They never bothered to really dig into what Catholicism was all about...the Catholic practice is a very beautiful thing, once you know whats behind all the traditions and symbolism.

If we are going to speak about the Catholic practice or their doctrine for that matter, please at least ask someone who practices, who really know why they practice...

We cannot make any conclusion on Catholicism based on what Non-Catholics tell us. Just as you would if you were going to write a research paper on say sharks. You wouldn't go to a bear expert to get knowledge on sharks would you? Catholic Stereotypes 820365

Last edited by methodikal on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

https://ccccollegetalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Catholic Stereotypes Empty Re: Catholic Stereotypes

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:08 pm

methodikal wrote:Earl, you wrote a lot of stereotypes, and plenty of hurtful things to those who are devoted Catholics. Lets clear things up...

Earl, if you're going to speak about the Catholic practice or their doctrine for that matter, please at least ask someone who practices, who really know why they practice...

We cannot make any conclusion on Catholicism based on what Non-Catholics tell us. Just as you would if you were going to write a research paper on say sharks. You wouldn't go to a bear expert to get knowledge on sharks would you? Catholic Stereotypes 820365

Matt...i knew i would be headed towards deep waters with this with you...first of all im not judging the catholics because God loves the catholics as much as he loves all men....second i was catholic before and i was exposed to the catholic church especially when i was being taken care off by a babysitter. ..i wasnt sterotyping anybody or anything......ive done my research matt...im not just throwing in things...as far as mary is concerned i love mary and i respect mary being the earthly mother of Jesus...but not to the point of giving her honor along with Christ

http://www.bible.ca/cath-overview-false-teaching.htm

http://www.bible.ca/catholic-doctrine.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/mary_worship_a_study.htm

http://www.ancient-future.net/basics.html

http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/JESUMENU.HTM#PARA4

and yes matt some catholics hold on to the basic fundamentals of our faith...the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus Christ....the cross etc...but some things are just not right.....this belief that mary is the queen of the universe right next to Jesus Christ as King...doesnt the bible say that only God is the ruler of the universe

im speaking from my experience as a catholic in the past in the philippines...i went to church as a little kid and i prayed

the issue i was talking about was getting into heaven..Mawi was asking me do priests go to heaven if they worship God and i made it clear that the worship of God is a result of them being born again and being saved then yes they are going to heaven......it all boils down to being saved.....you can throw your opinions and i respect that...i can only give what the bible says and what scripture says...
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:20 pm

KuyaAirl wrote:

Matt...i knew i would be headed towards deep waters with this with you...first of all im not judging the catholics because God loves the catholics as much as he loves all men....second i was catholic before and i was exposed to the catholic church especially when i was being taken care off by a babysitter. ..i wasnt sterotyping anybody or anything......ive done my research matt...im not just throwing in things...as far as mary is concerned i love mary and i respect mary being the earthly mother of Jesus...but not to the point of giving her honor along with Christ

http://www.bible.ca/cath-overview-false-teaching.htm

http://www.bible.ca/catholic-doctrine.htm

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/mary_worship_a_study.htm

http://www.ancient-future.net/basics.html

http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/JESUMENU.HTM#PARA4

and yes matt some catholics hold on to the basic fundamentals of our faith...the doctrine of the trinity and the deity of Jesus Christ....the cross etc...but some things are just not right.....this belief that mary is the queen of the universe right next to Jesus Christ as King...doesnt the bible say that only God is the ruler of the universe

im speaking from my experience as a catholic in the past in the philippines...i went to church as a little kid and i prayed

the issue i was talking about was getting into heaven..Mawi was asking me do priests go to heaven if they worship God and i made it clear that the worship of God is a result of them being born again and being saved then yes they are going to heaven......it all boils down to being saved.....you can throw your opinions and i respect that...i can only give what the bible says and what scripture says...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEgYxk0MCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfwlzf-DAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt25xnk6gfM
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:50 pm

KuyaAirl wrote:

Matt...i knew i would be headed towards deep waters with this with you...i can only give what the bible says and what scripture says...

Thanks for clearing that up Earl...but as I said before, its important to speak to a PC about things on the Catholic faith. I don't brush off your experience as a Catholic, but as you said, you learned and observed Catholicism as a child and from your babysitter...I dont know if she is what I call a PC or a CC, but I am sure your mental capacity of understanding things were a lot different when you were a child.

I respect that you have done research on the issue, but I think its very important to get the view from the other side. We can read up all we want on things like the first 4 links you have (the 5th i know is a credible catholic resource), but if we do not have the perspective of an actual PC, then all we are reading is biased commentary/studies.

I agree with you that Mary shouldn't be on the same level as God/JC, as does Audrey/her Fam/and other PCs. Like I said, there are those who are radical in that they do Worship Mary and her statues. But lets not label the whole Catholic people as that.

I just didnt want this thread to be a Catholic bashing. From my experience, its easy for us to look outward and point out the things that we think people are doing wrong. Before the pointing happens, I wanted us to come into this thread w/o a bias against Catholics.
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:56 pm

Mawi wrote:Thanks Earl!! Let's say, they don't worship Mary or any saints or what not, but it seems like they are worshiping because they are praying in front of them, but they are asking for help with prayers.. is that wrong? And my other question is about their set prayers, you think you can give me a scripture or verse in the bible about that?

I dont think its wrong to ask anyone for prayers. As long as you dont believe that the intercessor, whoever it may be, is the one that is going to save you from sin.

As for the prayers...lets ask a PC what the prayers mean, what they represent, and why they do it, so we can get a better understanding of what the practice is about. I'm gna ask Audrey to chime in here sometime soon, to give us a perspective from the Catholic side, but you are more than welcome to call her anytime you want to ask her questions about Catholicism.

P.S. To everyone, she is already a member of the forum, so you can PM her here and ask her your questions about the Catholic faith.
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:00 pm

methodikal wrote:
Mawi wrote:Thanks Earl!! Let's say, they don't worship Mary or any saints or what not, but it seems like they are worshiping because they are praying in front of them, but they are asking for help with prayers.. is that wrong? And my other question is about their set prayers, you think you can give me a scripture or verse in the bible about that?

I dont think its wrong to ask anyone for prayers. As long as you dont believe that the intercessor, whoever it may be, is the one that is going to save you from sin.

As for the prayers...lets ask a PC what the prayers mean, what they represent, and why they do it, so we can get a better understanding of what the practice is about. I'm gna ask Audrey to chime in here sometime soon, to give us a perspective from the Catholic side, but you are more than welcome to call her anytime you want to ask her questions about Catholicism.

P.S. To everyone, she is already a member of the forum, so you can PM her here and ask her your questions about the Catholic faith.

What are the DOCTRINES of the PCS?
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodel Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:05 pm

I think Matt. 6:7 is the closest I can refer to.

But as Matt mentioned, ask the PC why they do it in such manner.

On another note, I think we're straying away from the topic Mawi asked. I think we should answer her questions first and may be create another forum for this?! Just suggesting...
Rodel
Rodel

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Rodel wrote:

I think Matt. 6:7 is the closest I can refer to.

But as Matt mentioned, ask the PC why they do it in such manner.

On another note, I think we're straying away from the topic Mawi asked. I think we should answer her questions first and may be create another forum for this?! Just suggesting...

I'm on it...i'll figure out how to split the topics...
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:43 pm

methodikal wrote:

Matt....If you are creating this forum to attack me personally, then theres something wrong with this.....again i was trying to answer a very specific question that Mawi had..i had to define a few things,,,,Why did you start off with my name on the forum? I WASNT HURTING ANYONE....I wasnt condemning anyone....I used my research to back up what i said and scripture..i didnot mention any names or anyone....

If you want to post a forum on the doctrines of catholism, then its up to you.....state ur case and everything that you want to say,,

but if this is gonna be personal then all i can say is as far as the forum is concerned then Im Out.....

I shouldnt be saying things anymore if this is gonna be personal
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodel Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:50 pm

Hey Earl... it was my suggestion to Matt to create another forum because we were getting away from Mawi's topic.

It wasn't a personal thing against anyone by Matt or anybody. Let's keep it cool, alright kuya Earl?!
Rodel
Rodel

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:55 pm

KuyaAirl wrote:

Sorry Mawi but from what im saying...what im gonna say is gonna start something heated....i thought the purpose of this was to present truth and what the word says...sorry Mawi....Ask Matt he knows alot about catholism,...ask him....all i can say to you is to be discerning and use scripture to filter things out

Hey Brutha, i'm not sayin I know a lot about Catholicism, I am simply saying that we cannot say what they are doing is wrong before hearing their side. In any trial, both parties testimonies are heard out and the verdict is decided after hearing ALL testimonies...

Lets hear a PC testimony, and make conclusions from there. In no way was I trying to make a "heated" argument...believe me, the last thing I would want is to have a disagreement w/ another Brutha in Christ.
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:03 pm

methodikal wrote:
KuyaAirl wrote:

Sorry Mawi but from what im saying...what im gonna say is gonna start something heated....i thought the purpose of this was to present truth and what the word says...sorry Mawi....Ask Matt he knows alot about catholism,...ask him....all i can say to you is to be discerning and use scripture to filter things out

Hey Brutha, i'm not sayin I know a lot about Catholicism, I am simply saying that we cannot say what they are doing is wrong before hearing their side. In any trial, both parties testimonies are heard out and the verdict is decided after hearing ALL testimonies...

Lets hear a PC testimony, and make conclusions from there. In no way was I trying to make a "heated" argument...believe me, the last thing I would want is to have a disagreement w/ another Brutha in Christ.

Based on God's Word Matt....Just God's Word.......SCRIPTURE.......What does the word say about catholism...does it filter out what their doctrines are...does scripture back up their doctrines...
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:07 pm

KuyaAirl wrote: Based on God's Word Matt....Just God's Word.......SCRIPTURE.......What does the word say about catholism...does it filter out what their doctrines are...does scripture back up their doctrines...

Noted. I will ask Audrey where their Doctrine stems from. Maybe you can specify which doctrines/beliefs/practices so i can ask her? That would help out mucho.
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CLER Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:07 pm

Here's my quick perspective as it is lunch time and I'm hungry. I don't think all Catholics are not saved. The same with all professing Christians who go to church and say they are Christians... I don't think they're all saved. Stick to the basic salvation... that should be our foundation right there. Anyone Catholics or not who does not believe on that foundation... are not saved, plain and simple. That's my 2 cents for now. Let's all talk about this with humility and pray about it!

CLER

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 pm

CLER wrote:Here's my quick perspective as it is lunch time and I'm hungry. I don't think all Catholics are not saved. The same with all professing Christians who go to church and say they are Christians... I don't think they're all saved. Stick to the basic salvation... that should be our foundation right there. Anyone Catholics or not who does not believe on that foundation... are not saved, plain and simple. That's my 2 cents for now. Let's all talk about this with humility and pray about it!

Agreed.
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodel Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:13 pm

CLER wrote:Here's my quick perspective as it is lunch time and I'm hungry. I don't think all Catholics are not saved. The same with all professing Christians who go to church and say they are Christians... I don't think they're all saved. Stick to the basic salvation... that should be our foundation right there. Anyone Catholics or not who does not believe on that foundation... are not saved, plain and simple. That's my 2 cents for now. Let's all talk about this with humility and pray about it!

Mmm... lunch time... while I'm at the office surfing the internet at 9:10pm.

That's good pointer! I think far too many times, we make a mistake of seeing catholics as unsaved due their practices and what not. I know I've made that mistake before. Whose to say that they aren't based off that?

Even in this side, we have Calvinism and Arminianism... different doctrines. I agree... let's discuss this with humility and openly.

Last edited by Rodel on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rodel
Rodel

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Let's all take a step back guys! This is getting a little too heated Catholic Stereotypes 923896 . No one is trying to attack anyone or make anything personal. Just make sure when we have something to say that it is backed up by the Bible and that is what is important. Remember that we are all family here and we can disagree but like Cler said with humility. Smile
Mark
Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm

methodikal wrote:
KuyaAirl wrote: Based on God's Word Matt....Just God's Word.......SCRIPTURE.......What does the word say about catholism...does it filter out what their doctrines are...does scripture back up their doctrines...

Noted. I will ask Audrey where their Doctrine stems from. Maybe you can specify which doctrines/beliefs/practices so i can ask her? That would help out mucho.

The Doctrine of Hell and Purgatory?

The Doctrine of the Deity of Jesus Christ?

Salvation by grace or by works?

Mary a Mediatrix or not?

The Eucharist and Transubstiantion
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodel Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:29 pm

Hmm... I think it nothing should be discussed unless we are open about things. I still feel tension. 2cents
Rodel
Rodel

Back to top Go down

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Rodel wrote:Hmm... I think it nothing should be discussed unless we are open about things. I still feel tension. 2cents

Dont worry Kuya Rodel....im ok with everything........i was just a little surprised how the forum started off with my name...i thought the sterotype forum was gonna start off with defining terms, or things
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:33 pm

KuyaAirl wrote:

Mary a Mediatrix or not?

Okay kool...i'll email/talk to her about these questions and post her answers, or maybe she'll post herself...thanks Earl!
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodel Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:36 pm

KuyaAirl wrote:Dont worry Kuya Rodel....im ok with everything........i was just a little surprised how the forum started off with my name...i thought the sterotype forum was gonna start off with defining terms, or things

That's a relief Kuya Earl!! Catholic Stereotypes 14745

Let's proceed! Catholic Stereotypes 229662 I want to learn myself.

Oh yea... Matt... we should have that driving smiley... like this = Catholic Stereotypes Driving ... hehee... I want the new Z! Catholic Stereotypes 432827
Rodel
Rodel

Back to top Go down

Post  KuyaAirl Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:41 pm

methodikal wrote:
KuyaAirl wrote:

Mary a Mediatrix or not?

Okay kool...i'll email/talk to her about these questions and post her answers, or maybe she'll post herself...thanks Earl!

Matt...youre my bro in Christ and I love you...I apologize if i said somethings that were offensive...i speak in all humility and nothingness....for me bro im all for the truth and what the word says..its not about me or anyone else....i just want to know as well as wanting others to know what is the truth
KuyaAirl
KuyaAirl

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:45 pm

KuyaAirl wrote:
Matt...youre my bro in Christ and I love you...I apologize if i said somethings that were offensive...i speak in all humility and nothingness....for me bro im all for the truth and what the word says..its not about me or anyone else....i just want to know as well as wanting others to know what is the truth

Ya fa sho mayn...oh and I have edited the first post so that it doesnt call you out lol!
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mawi Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:46 am

Whoa whoa.. i didn't mean to cause any drama. just wanted to learn, being curious about things. Embarassed confused
Mawi
Mawi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next