CCC College/Career Ministry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» what happened here?
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm by Rosielle Manuel

» Summer Events... Details Inside.
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyWed May 13, 2009 3:38 am by Mawi

» God imaginary? I don't think so.
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 am by Mawi

» Don’t all religions lead to the same God?
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:12 pm by CLER

» Why study theology?
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:01 pm by CLER

» Men... saving it for marriage
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm by CLER

» Ladies... good read
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 pm by CLER

» Need Financial Blessings
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm by Sarge

» SF Pillow Fight Pix and Warrior's Game Pix are Up!!
Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:17 am by methodikal

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct?

5 posters

Go down

Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? Empty Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct?

Post  Mark Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:07 am

Let me first start by saying that this is not a post about Salvation. This is not about Catholics being saved or not. I am wondering if these Catholic Beliefs and Practices are Bibically Correct.

1.Statues and Images of God, Jesus, Mary, and Saints.
“You must not make for yourself an idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea."
Exodus 20:4

This is one of the ten commandments and basically self explanatory. Now I believe that "Practicing Catholics" (Catholics that actually read the Bible and have a relationship with God) do not worship or bow down to these statues and images; and that they are only there for remembrance or to honor. However, many Catholics fall into Idolatry because they are allowed. It is almost like an open door to sin because if it is there then people can fall to Idolatry. I know this first hand because I was born and raised in the Philippines as a Catholic. Many Catholics bow down and actually worship these images and statues. I have seen with my own eyes family members bow down and pray to these statues and images. So why even have them around if they can sway people into Idolatry. Again I can't stress this enough, I am not saying that all Catholics practice this but I know many that do. The commandment is self explanatory. "Do not make yourself an Idol of any kind or an image of anything in the heavens or on the earth or in the sea."

2. Confession: Here is a link to how Catholics view Confession: http://www.catholic.com/library/Confession.asp

"After his resurrection, Jesus passed on his mission to forgive sins to his ministers, telling them, "As the Father has sent me, even so I send you. . . . Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (John 20:21–23)."

The quote above is from the link right above it. Catholics believe that Priests are given the power and they are used as instruments of God to forgive sin. I personally believe that the verse they are quoting is taken out of context. All who believe in Jesus Christ have the holy spirit and are sent out to the world to share the Gospel. So does this mean that we have the power to forgive people of their sin as well? Only God can forgive us of our sins and no man can tell us that we are forgiven. It is only through our faith that Jesus died for our sins that our sins are forgiven.

3. Mary: Here is another link to how Catholics view Mary: http://www.catholic.com/library/Mary_Full_of_Grace.asp

Now I believe that "Practicing Catholics" do not worship or pray to Mary. However, just like Idolatry this can be harmful to some Catholics because of the views of the Catholic Religion about Mary. That is why some Catholics end up praying and worshiping Mary.

"We will all one day be rendered immaculate (sinless), but Mary, as the prototypical Christian, received this grace early. God granted her freedom from sin to make her a fitting mother for his Son."

The quote above is just a tiny part of the link that I provided about how Catholics view Mary. Now we all acknowledge that Mary was the earthly mother of Jesus. I believe that we should have more respect for her and I think we do. The problem lies when some people take that respect to a whole new level where they pray to Mary and worship her. According to Catholic Religion Mary was sinless and this could be a reason why Catholics give her so much honor. Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't Jesus the only sinless human and because he was sinless he was able to die for our sins. Also if you believe that she was sinless throughout her life then she is not a descendant of Adam? This belief contradicts so much of the Bible stating that all men are born of sin because of Adam and Eve.

I'm going to end this post with these three as there are more but I am just getting too sleepy. Please understand that this was not a post about Salvation. I am not saying Catholics are going to hell. I love Catholics, I have many friends and family that are Catholics. I believe that many Catholics that practice Bibilically correct are saved according to the Bible. I am just pointing out certain practices and beliefs of the Catholic Religion that are not Bibillically correct personally. I believe that it is important to point these things out because we are talking about God and the Bible. The Bible is the truth and we cannot compromise what the Bible says. I believe that as Christians we truly need to take the word as it is and stop making the Bible what we want it to be so we can accept it better. We need to accept the truth and I personally will no longer compromise because I have been doing that for far too long. So please let me know what you think. If I have said anything that is not Bibilically correct then please correct me because I want to be as true as I can be to what the Bible says.

Last edited by Mark on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark
Mark

Back to top Go down

Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? Empty Re: Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct?

Post  Mark Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:17 pm

I just want to add that I am in no way trying to Bash Catholicism. I have gotten so much more respect and understanding of Catholicism because of all of this. I spent all day yesterday reading the word and doing my research. The Catholic religion actually has plenty of practices and beliefs that are backed up by the Bible. The ones that I posted above are only the ones that are to me not Bibically correct. I want to apologize to anyone that are offended by what I posted. I just really want all of us to look at our questions and beliefs Bibically because the word of God is the only Truth. My faith in Christianity has strengthened because of all this and I thank God and all of you (especially you Matt for making me see Catholics in a whole new light) for contributing to my growing relationship with God.
Mark
Mark

Back to top Go down

Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? Empty Re: Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct?

Post  Rodel Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:59 pm

It's good to hear your side of things Mark in terms of Catholicism and their practices.

And guys, I just want to remind us as we take a look at other beliefs such as this topic, is for us to remember to study them as you would on our side of Christianity. Let's stop the truth of things to be based on our personal experience and whatnot. Let's be reminded that as we look into things, that first of all to pray and ask God for guidance. Secondly, to study them in light of the Word of God. Far too many times, we pass on judgment against other practices without going in to great details as to why they do it. Many of us do things and we don't understand exactly why we do them. Let's be guided by the word of God in everything that we do.

Let's study and learn! Cool
Rodel
Rodel

Back to top Go down

Post  methodikal Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:03 pm

Rodel wrote:...Let's study and learn! Cool

Agreed! What a Face
methodikal
methodikal
Admin

https://ccccollegetalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffrocks Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Rodel wrote:It's good to hear your side of things Mark in terms of Catholicism and their practices.

And guys, I just want to remind us as we take a look at other beliefs such as this topic, is for us to remember to study them as you would on our side of Christianity. Let's stop the truth of things to be based on our personal experience and whatnot. Let's be reminded that as we look into things, that first of all to pray and ask God for guidance. Secondly, to study them in light of the Word of God. Far too many times, we pass on judgment against other practices without going in to great details as to why they do it. Many of us do things and we don't understand exactly why we do them. Let's be guided by the word of God in everything that we do.

I concur Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? 652909
jeffrocks
jeffrocks

Back to top Go down

Post  CLER Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:58 pm

Rodel wrote:It's good to hear your side of things Mark in terms of Catholicism and their practices.

Aww Rodel misses us! Razz clown
One more week!

CLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Rodel Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:04 pm

Heck yea, I miss everyone! Razz
Having no home church to be part of is hard! Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? 701411 And getting around here is no walk in the park either. There are no road signs, and when you find one, you can't read it! Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? 627800

This week is going to be looong! Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? 3151
Rodel
Rodel

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 am

I changed the title and some of the wording in my original post because I don't think I am Bibically knowlegeable enough to say if something is correct or not. I have a lot more learning and praying to do. So If you guys disagree with anything that I put I would appreciate it a lot if you corrected anything that is not Bibically correct. Again I just want to keep learning the word of God. Thanks.

Oh and Rodel you come home the same day Audrey does! Are these Catholic Beliefs and Practices Bibically Correct? 14745
Mark
Mark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down