CCC College/Career Ministry
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» what happened here?
How to read the Bible? EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 5:39 pm by Rosielle Manuel

» Summer Events... Details Inside.
How to read the Bible? EmptyWed May 13, 2009 3:38 am by Mawi

» God imaginary? I don't think so.
How to read the Bible? EmptyMon Mar 30, 2009 2:23 am by Mawi

» Don’t all religions lead to the same God?
How to read the Bible? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 6:12 pm by CLER

» Why study theology?
How to read the Bible? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 11:01 pm by CLER

» Men... saving it for marriage
How to read the Bible? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm by CLER

» Ladies... good read
How to read the Bible? EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 7:32 pm by CLER

» Need Financial Blessings
How to read the Bible? EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 4:49 pm by Sarge

» SF Pillow Fight Pix and Warrior's Game Pix are Up!!
How to read the Bible? EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:17 am by methodikal

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

How to read the Bible?

5 posters

Go down

How to read the Bible? Empty How to read the Bible?

Post  joshcalu Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Why should I read it? How do I read it? Who wrote it? What's the history behind it? Where do I start? Can it relate to life's situations? What questions will it answer?

There are many questions people have when trying to read the Bible. If you have any questions, answers, tips or lessons on how to approach reading the Bible, post here!!!

My tip: Take your time!!! Think quality over quantity. The Bible is 1000+ pages. Although it's possible to read the entire Bible in a few months, understanding it and applying it takes a lifetime. Yes? No?

joshcalu

Back to top Go down

How to read the Bible? Empty Re: How to read the Bible?

Post  CLER Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:22 am

joshcalu wrote:Why should I read it? How do I read it? Who wrote it? What's the history behind it? Where do I start? Can it relate to life's situations? What questions will it answer?

There are many questions people have when trying to read the Bible. If you have any questions, answers, tips or lessons on how to approach reading the Bible, post here!!!

My tip: Take your time!!! Think quality over quantity. The Bible is 1000+ pages. Although it's possible to read the entire Bible in a few months, understanding it and applying it takes a lifetime. Yes? No?

Ahh great questions. Yes on lifetime application. What questions will it answer? How about... what is God's will in my life? How do I know if he's the "one" (lol)? What should I do in my life? Should I buy this car?

I'll look up the sites that have been helpful to me and post it on here.

CLER

Back to top Go down

Post  mskimmy Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:36 am

joshcalu wrote:Why should I read it? How do I read it? Who wrote it? What's the history behind it? Where do I start? Can it relate to life's situations? What questions will it answer?

The best thing out there to read! I definitely agree with Josh about taking your time. I don't think it's wise to read through verses without understanding what it's trying to say. As far as how to read/study the Bible, here are suggestions that I found to be helpful:

-Always begin and conclude your devotional time/study time in prayer. We can't comprehend God's Word on our own understanding; we need the Holy Spirit's guidance as we read.
-Set a specific time to read your Bible. This, I know, can be hard since many of us have such busy schedules. But above all else, God should have first priority over our lives over anything else.
-Have a plan on what to read. It may be good to focus on one book at a time. One book alone can take awhile to get through. Again, it's all about understanding what is being written. As for where to begin, it can be up to you.
-It's helpful to take notes as you read your Bible if ever you gain any insights from a particular passage. You can always look back at your notes and refresh yourself on what you read.
-If you don't understand it, read it again. I believe you can never get enough of the Word Very Happy Also meditate on that verse/passage throughout the day, and see how that verse/passage can be put to application in your life.

I think that having a study Bible is a good investment if you want to start studying the Word. There are also some good resources online that can help you as you read. Umm, I can't think of all of them right now Embarassed , but here's one: http://www.biblegateway.com.

It's gonna take discipline, but it's definitely worth it!

How to read the Bible? 264752 <--(i just had to add this in here, it's so cool!)
mskimmy
mskimmy

Back to top Go down

How to read the Bible? Empty Student Spirituality: How do I approach reading the Bible?

Post  Rosielle Manuel Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:19 pm

Here's an article I found.

http://www.iamnext.com/spirituality/biblehow.html

How to read the Bible? 241520

Rosielle Manuel

Back to top Go down

Post  JENNuine_heart Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:45 pm

great practical question and topic, josh. looks like folks have shared some good resources and tips already. i am yet to really read through everything but i wanted to contribute to the info as well.

a small disclosure on this resource since i think we should all be knowleadgeable of where our information are coming from Smile i'm involved in campus/student ministry with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship so this is where many of the references i make come from.. this article in particular is from IV's student resources website, and meant for first-time Bible readers specifically.. but i figured that we can be open in receiving from it either way Very Happy

i def agree with kim that for us who understand and believe in the leading of the Holy Spirit, that ours study should always start and end in prayer.. and to add on, also to prayerfully read, meaning asking God to lead as we read throughout Scripture.. so thanks kim for that emphasis!

last thing, towards the end of this article is a suggestion to study deeply through inductive study. personally, i believe that God has truly met me and continues to meet me through this style of study, as i always seem to find myself more and more in love with His Word in the end. i can def talk to you guys more about this style if you have any questions. (ok enough with the plugs haha) What a Face

enjoy guys and hope this helps somehow: http://www.intervarsity.org/studentsoul/item/start-reading-bible

JENNuine_heart

Back to top Go down

Post  CLER Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:17 am

Here are few links...

http://theologicallycorrect.com/?page_id=21 this brother is super cool, very zealous and gives a good recommendation in getting started to read. check out his site for other info, as he gives links to other sites also.

uh i can't find the rest... i'll get back again. but so far good input from folks.

CLER

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down